From family-friendly outings to brewery tours, fancy meals and chic VIP parties, you’ll find the perfect way to celebrate New Year’s Eve in Canada’s capital region. Options even include free events, daytime gatherings and outdoor activities! We’ve gathered just some of the great ways you can celebrate the end of 2021 and the start of 2022 this December 31 in the Ottawa region.
Continue enjoying some holiday cheer:
- Attend a hybrid edition of the annual Hogman-eh! event, a Canadian twist on the traditional Scottish Hogmanay celebration. In-person programming (including fireworks!) will be held at Saunders Farm in the city’s west-end, plus virtual options online.
- Enjoy the free Christmas Lights Across Canada illumination displays across downtown Ottawa-Gatineau. Plus, on December 31, the multimedia projection show on Parliament Hill is presented until midnight.
- For a leisurely outing within your own bubble (and vehicle), head just west of Ottawa to Wesley Clover Parks for Magic of Lights, a drive-through holiday light display (open on the evening of December 31).
- Visit Upper Canada Village located 45-minutes south of downtown Ottawa for the Alight at Night festival. Stroll through the 1860’s heritage village adorned with nearly one million twinkling lights until 9:00pm on New Year’s Eve.
- Walk through the historic and castle-like Fairmont Château Laurier hotel to see the beautifully decorated Trees of Hope Christmas trees.
Countless restaurants and venues are offering special menus. A few notable examples:
- Consider one of the Fairmont Château Laurier’s special dining options on December 31. Zoe’s is featuring a Holiday Afternoon Tea during the day and an evening meal, while Wilfrid’s will host a Dickens Lunch and special New Year’s Eve dinner.
- Reserve the special 4-course New Year’s Eve dinner at Brookstreet’s Perspectives Restaurant in the west-end suburb of Kanata. The hotel is also offering a room rate discount to diners on December 31.
- Plan a night out at the stylishly renovated 1 Elgin restaurant at the National Arts Centre to try their New Year’s Eve table d’hôte.
Brews and sports
Day and evening options revolving around beer and sports:
- Join Brew Donkey for an afternoon City Beers Express Tour. The adult bus trip takes you to local breweries for tours and beer samples.
- Head to Evergreen Craft Ales for an early evening New Years Eve Pre-Party with beer tasters, live music and more.
- Take the kids to Kichesippi Beer Co. for an early evening, Family Friendly New Year’s Eve Party with live music, food and beverages for all ages.
- Catch the last NHL hockey game of 2021 at the Canadian Tire Centre as the Ottawa Senators play the Pittsburgh Penguins in the afternoon.
Lots of laughs
Laugh in the new year at fun comedy events, such as:
- Yuk’s Yuk’s is hosting a special New Year’s Eve comedy show at the Ottawa Marriott in downtown Ottawa. Options include show tickets only, dinner and a show, or even the hotel’s Eat, Laugh, and Stay deal.
- The Shenkman Arts Centre in Orléans presents their 10th Annual New Year’s Eve Comedy Night with top Canadian comedians.
- Comedians will also be performing at Absolute Comedy in Little Italy.
Galas, live music and DJs
Many venues including pubs, bars and lounges are hosting events. Here are just a few:
- Ottawa New Year’s Eve Charity Ball: Annual gala event (virtual this year); large online auction in support of Journey House.
- NYE 2022 Luxury Celebration: Gala-like evening with 5-course meal, live and DJ music, prizes and more at the Centurion Conference & Event Center in the city’s south end.
- Light Up 2022!: Party with DJ, live band, food and beverages, plus gaming and prizes at the Rideau Carleton Casino, the future Hard Rock in the city’s south end.
- Hangover VI: Party with VIP booths and tables, bottle service, guest DJs, and more at NUVO Lounge in the ByWard Market neighbourhood.
- Sashay’s SUPERNOVA: A New Year's Affair: Drag shows by Ottawa legends, DJs and more at SAW Gallery in Downtown Rideau.
- CRC's New Year’s Eve Party: Live music performances at the Dominion Tavern in the ByWard Market area.
- Mentallica/Overdose – the Bon Scott ACDC experience: Heavy metal tribute bands at Mavericks music club in Downtown Rideau.
- Various live bands: Playing at Heart & Crown Irish Pubs throughout the city.