The Tourism Relief and Investment Program (TRIP) provides one-time, non-repayable funding support of up to $20,000 to eligible francophone, Indigenous, rural and semi-urban tourism businesses in the Ottawa region (Ottawa – Prescott-Russell corridor). This program has been developed in response to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic to ensure our industry can effectively meet the evolving health, safety and experience needs of residents and visitors.
TRIP has been designed to help alleviate part of the current financial burden that COVID-19 has placed on local tourism businesses. It features a simple application and awarding process that aims to get relief funds into the hands of eligible businesses as quickly as possible.
Applications for the Tourism Relief and Investment Program will be accepted starting on Friday, January 15, 2021.
Important information to have ready before you apply:
- Your Business Number and Incorporation date (if applicable).
- A copy of your 2019 Financials.
- A copy of your commercial general liability insurance indicating coverage of at least $2,000,000.
- Copies of all receipts, invoices and/or quotes you are looking to submit for reimbursement.
- A brief 500-word summary drafted of how the requested funds are to be used, including a synopsis of how the project helped to protect jobs and the visitor experience.
The following activities are considered eligible under the terms of the Tourism Relief and Investment Program:
- Purchase of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) - masks, face shields, latex gloves etc., to ensure that SMEs are positioned to implement health and safety protocols.
- Reconfiguration of space and/or of business offering and/or processes to adhere to re-opening guidelines while maintaining a quality visitor experience. This includes any alterations, temporary or permanent, made to the applicant’s business specifically to reduce the risk of customers or staff contracting COVID-19.
- The building or purchase of physical barriers and/or sanitizing stations.
- The creation of signage or floor markers.
- The installation of touchless devices such as doors or waste containers.
- Renovations or equipment to accommodate social distancing or PPE-related needs (e.g. expansion of patio space for restaurants and/or acquisition of outdoor heaters).
- COVID-19 health and safety improvements on existing tourism infrastructure.
- Digitizing services (e.g. virtual queues, timed entry ticketing, etc.).
- Claims can be made on existing or planned purchases between June 1, 2020 and December 31, 2021.
The following eligibility criteria serve as important reminders when considering applying (for full listing of Applicant Eligibility Criteria, please refer to our Program Details and Eligibility below):
- Applicants must be located within the following boundaries:
- Ottawa Francophone businesses (i.e. Businesses with 50% or more francophone ownership that offer bilingual services) - City of Ottawa Wards 1 through 23.
- Ottawa Non-francophone businesses - All City of Ottawa Wards, excluding Somerset, Rideau-Vanier and Capital
- United Counties of Prescott-Russell (refer to the following listing to assist you in determining your municipality)
- Applicants must have no more than 25 full-time equivalent (FTE) employees or a Business Number.
- Applicants are able to make use of other funding towards the specified activities contained in their funding application, but these may not overlap with TRIP funds (i.e. you cannot 'double dip').