Hybrid City Alliance and Travel Trade teams recognized
OTTAWA, October 29, 2021—Ottawa Tourism received two prestigious accolades earlier this week:
- the ICCA Best Marketing Award for the Hybrid City Alliance, an initiative Ottawa Tourism co-founded with The Hague, Prague, and Geneva; and
- the Ontario Tourism Resiliency Award for Collaboration in the Indigenous Tourism Operator category for Ottawa Tourism’s work with Indigenous Experiences and 24 other member businesses in a virtual sales blitz aimed at tour operators.
“This recognition is greatly appreciated, especially considering the exceptionally trying circumstances of the past year and a half in our industry,” says Michael Crockatt, President and CEO of Ottawa Tourism. “I’m very proud that our team approached head-on the new problems that the pandemic brought and created innovative new solutions and ways of doing business. To see our efforts—and the efforts of our partners—recognized is very gratifying.”
The ICCA Best Marketing Award—celebrating Marketing through Transformation—was presented at the International Congress and Convention Association convention in Cartagena, Colombia on Wednesday, October 27. There were a record number of entries, and nine other finalists named, including the Abu Dhabi National Exhibitions Center, the Korea Tourism Organization, and the Ljubljana Convention Bureau. The Hybrid City Alliance now includes 24 cities in 15 countries on six continents after launching in December 2020 with just the four mentioned above. The Alliance brings together like-minded destinations to offer international meeting planners a simple, streamlined, and transparent approach to engaging with multiple locations for hybrid and multi-city events.
The Ontario Tourism Resilience Award was presented on Wednesday, October 27 at the Ontario Tourism Summit 2021, held with 250 in-person delegates at Ottawa’s Brookstreet hotel (and more than 400 virtual attendees). Other regional tourism businesses were nominated as follows:
- In the SUSTAINABILITY stream, OWL Rafting in Transportation (*WINNER*); Ottawa Tourism in the Regional Tourism Organization category
- In the INNOVATION stream, Ottawa Boat Cruise/EKEAU in the Francophone, Marine, and Transportation categories (*WINNER in Transportation*); OWL Rafting in Marine and Transportation
- In the COLLABORATION stream, Ottawa Tourism’s Virtual Sales Blitz in the Destination Marketing Organization category; OWL Rafting in Marine, Outdoor, and Transportation; Haunted Walks Inc. in the Independent Business category
About Ottawa Tourism
Ottawa Tourism provides destination development and marketing, strategic direction, and leadership in cooperation with its members and partners, welcoming leisure travellers, business travellers, group tours, and conventions to Ottawa and Canada’s Capital Region. Its goal is to support the local tourism economy, fueled by an estimated 11 million visitors annually in recent years and with $3 billion in typical economic output for Ottawa, generating community wealth through tourism. Ottawa Tourism’s vision is to offer the complete capital experience, tell the story of Canada, and get people talking.
For more information, please contact:
Jantine Van Kregten
Director of Communications, Ottawa Tourism