The world’s largest outdoor skating rink—the Rideau Canal Skateway—is a magical Ottawa experience that has inspired photographers, painters, and even cocktail experts! Yvonne Langen of Taste & Tipple has created a special drink that pays homage to the Skateway and Ottawa-area products. During this year’s virtual Winterlude festival, use this recipe to make your own delicious Skateway Sour cocktail at home!
Ingredients to make one cocktail (if you don’t have the specified brands, use similar ingredients):
- 1½ oz Top Shelf Distillers Perth Canadian Whisky
- ¾ oz Bee Savvy Honey Syrup (see separate recipe below)
- ½ oz lemon juice
- ¼ oz grapefruit juice
- 1 egg white or 1 oz aquafaba (chickpea brine)
- 3 dashes Top Shelf Artfully Blended Aromatic Bitters
Ingredients to make Bee Savvy Honey Syrup (makes several servings that can be refrigerated for up to two weeks):
- ½ cup Bee Savvy Plain Wildflower Honey
- ½ cup boiling water
- To make the honey syrup, combine Bee Savvy Plain Wildflower Honey and boiling water in a mason jar.
- Screw on the lid and shake until water and honey are fully combined. Cool the syrup to room temperature before using.
- Combine whisky, honey syrup, lemon juice, grapefruit juice, and egg white (or aquafaba for vegan alternative) in a cocktail shaker. Dry shake (without ice) for 20 seconds.
- Add ice and shake again. Strain into a chilled coupe glass.
- Garnish with 3 drops of Top Shelf Artfully Blended Aromatic Bitters—equally spaced in a single line. Pull a toothpick in a straight line through the center of the dots to create heart shapes.
About Yvonne Langen
Ottawa-based Yvonne Langen has been cooking at home since she was 12 years old. She now shares her food and drink recipes and travel experiences on her blog Taste & Tipple. Her recipes have also been featured on other blogs, in cookbooks and in the LCBO Food & Drink magazine.
Photos: Yvonne Langen