The world’s largest outdoor skating rink—the Rideau Canal Skateway—is a magical Ottawa experience that has inspired photographers, painters, and even cocktail experts! Yvonne Langen of Taste & Tipple has created a special drink that pays homage to the Skateway and Ottawa-area products. In honour of the Winterlude festival—which has been cancelled in 2022 due to COVID-19—use this recipe to make your own delicious Skateway Sour cocktail at home!
Ingredients to make one cocktail (if you don’t have the specified brands, use similar ingredients):
- 1½ oz Top Shelf Distillers Perth Canadian Whisky
- ¾ oz Bee Savvy Honey Syrup (see separate recipe below)
- ½ oz lemon juice
- ¼ oz grapefruit juice
- 1 egg white or 1 oz aquafaba (chickpea brine)
- 3 dashes Top Shelf Artfully Blended Aromatic Bitters
Ingredients to make Bee Savvy Honey Syrup (makes several servings that can be refrigerated for up to two weeks):
- ½ cup Bee Savvy Plain Wildflower Honey
- ½ cup boiling water
- To make the honey syrup, combine Bee Savvy Plain Wildflower Honey and boiling water in a mason jar.
- Screw on the lid and shake until water and honey are fully combined. Cool the syrup to room temperature before using.
- Combine whisky, honey syrup, lemon juice, grapefruit juice, and egg white (or aquafaba for vegan alternative) in a cocktail shaker. Dry shake (without ice) for 20 seconds.
- Add ice and shake again. Strain into a chilled coupe glass.
- Garnish with 3 drops of Top Shelf Artfully Blended Aromatic Bitters—equally spaced in a single line. Pull a toothpick in a straight line through the center of the dots to create heart shapes.
About Yvonne Langen
Ottawa-based Yvonne Langen has been cooking at home since she was 12 years old. She now shares her food and drink recipes and travel experiences on her blog Taste & Tipple. Her recipes have also been featured on other blogs, in cookbooks and in the LCBO Food & Drink magazine.
Photos: Yvonne Langen