Spring in Ottawa is like a breath of fresh air after a long, cold winter. The city's dormant parks and gardens awaken from their slumber, bursting with colourful blooms and lively wildlife. If you find yourself in Ottawa for a business trip in the spring, mix in a little pleasure to maximize your time in a new city. Ottawa, Canada's capital city, has plenty of bleisure (business + leisure) activities to offer in the springtime. Here are the top 5 things to do:
- Visit the Canadian Tulip Festival: The Canadian Tulip Festival is a celebration of spring and the Dutch heritage of Ottawa. The festival takes place over 11 days in May and showcases over a million tulips in bloom throughout the city. There are also food vendors, live music and cultural events throughout the festival. Here are different ways to experience beautiful tulips in Ottawa.
- Take a bike ride along the Rideau Canal: The Rideau Canal is a UNESCO World Heritage Site that runs through the heart of Ottawa. In the spring, the canal is a beautiful place to take a bike ride and enjoy the fresh air. There are bike rental shops throughout the city, making it easy to get on two wheels and explore. Learn more about cycling in the Ottawa region.
- Enjoy a night out at Ottawa's restaurants: Ottawa has a thriving food scene, with a wide variety of restaurants to choose from. Whether you're in the mood for fine dining or something more casual, Ottawa has something to offer. Try one of the many farm-to-table restaurants that serve up fresh, locally sourced ingredients, or explore the city's international cuisine options. No matter what you're in the mood for, Ottawa's restaurants are sure to satisfy. Check out these great cocktails spots , gluten-free guide to Ottawa, great patios and best ice cream.
- Explore the Canadian Museum of Nature: The Canadian Museum of Nature is a must-see attraction in Ottawa. The museum has a collection of over 14 million specimens, including dinosaur fossils and a full-size blue whale skeleton. In the spring, the museum's outdoor exhibits, such as the butterfly exhibit, are open for visitors to enjoy. To explore all of Ottawa’s museums, check out our May is museum month article.
- Take a hike in Gatineau Park: Just a short drive from downtown Ottawa, Gatineau Park is a beautiful natural oasis that offers hiking trails for all levels of experience. In the spring, the park comes alive with wildflowers and the sounds of birds chirping. There are also several scenic lookouts where you can take in stunning views of the Ottawa River and the city.
Check out this springtime beauty itinerary
Ottawa is a great destination for bleisure travel in the spring, with plenty of activities to enjoy after business meetings are done for the day. Explore the city's rich cultural heritage or immerse yourself in nature! So, the next time you find yourself in Ottawa for business, make sure to mix a little pleasure into your trip and take advantage of all this beautiful city has to offer.